Monday, May 11, 2020

Just Cause and Why - Have you realised the difference..

What Is a Just Cause ..... Do you have one??


I come from a humble background, my father is a retired South Eastern Indian Railways employee.  I still have vivid memories of my childhood....  where in the last 1 week of every month, it would really become difficult for mom to run the household. Weekly grocery amounts would decrease, vegetables would be limited to only Potatoes, Onion and Tomatoes. Today when i think of those days, it seems so difficult but ironically during those days, the last week seemed same as the other weeks. 

Papa did get many offers to join better opportunities in private organisations but he would avoid them every-time. I used to wonder why would he do that considering our financial situations would have improve greatly. Papa would say - "In my role, I sign off critical consignments and a single mistake would mean humungous loss for the regional railways".

He was so protective about the work and the damage it would cause if minute details were ignored....I hardly remember him taking leaves from work except for the times when he would be really sick. It seemed really strange to me seeing him go to work with the same enthusiasm years after years. I am sure many of us would have the same story to share. Over the years, he has made strong relationships which have gone beyond his working years. He has made friends for lifetime. In fact yesterday while I was talking to him, I was worried how he was managing with his daily groceries. Smilingly he mentioned Mr. X ( keeping the name private) has already made all arrangements so that he gets all his medicines and daily groceries on-time. It has been 2 years that I have seen him and mom, but he assured me his friends are taking good care of him. Strangely he asked if I have a Mr/Ms X here on whom I can rely in case of needs. It made me think do I have one? The answer was relieving .. Yes , I do have my safety circle who would extend immediate help if I ask them. 

Catching back on my previous article-- on Infinite Vs Finite mindset...Infinite Vs Finite let us see what does a 'Just Cause' means and how everyone of us should have one. Do we already have one but dont realise.  Just Cause is visionary and aspirational. A Just Cause is a reason for you, the team, or the business to exist.


There are five criteria to have a Just Cause. It must be 1) for something, 2) inclusive, 3) service oriented, 4) resilient, and 5) idealistic. ( Courtesy : Simon Sinek Just Cause )

For Papa , his Just Cause was , how he would provide the best service to clients of South Eastern Railways within his maximum capability. Optimistic that he was doing his bit in strengthening the economic situation of the country... (might seem unrealistic to us but he was pretty sure that he was making his contribution) . He made this his “true north” on the compass. 
I believe this is in my genes, there are multiple things that I do in both professional and personal life that do-not necessarily have a tangible outcome or bring ins monetary or time savings . I do them because I believe I am bringing in a change in someone else's life or may be contributing to the society. Most of the times I think How does my action bring in positivity in future ,  what is my vision of future , what kind of relationships I would want to foster.  
"Our Lives are finite, but life is infinite" 

I would want my relationship with my colleagues to go beyond my professional relationship.  For me being a mentor, friend is much more important than being a manager and thats what drives my actions . Does this mean practicing this will always be a win on professional growth?? Not necessarily... but I have made a conscious decision of what I want to choose. Not a very easy decision to make but worth it. 
How is it different from "Why" -  "Why" mostly deals with your experience in the past. Why definitely will frame out your "Just Cause" . Our Just Cause is our WHY projected into the future. It describes a future state in which our WHY has been realised. It is a forward looking statement that is so inspiring and compelling that people are willing to sacrifice to see that vision advanced. ( Courtesy : Simon Sinek Just Cause )
Think about your Just Cause.  Spend sometime thinking how would want the world to remember you? Do you want to be just a name or more than that. 
More Next week... Stay Tuned....



1 comment:

Uncertainty will ignite creativity, dont let your fears focus on depravity

Fear as google explains is an unpleasant emotion caused by the threat of danger, pain, or harm. As a kid I was always afraid of being le...