Sunday, May 3, 2020

Infinite vs Finite mindset.....do you define success based on the achievment of arbitary metrices

While I was strolling through Chicago airport last year in October, I bought a book from my favourite author @Simon Sinek - #The Infinite Game.  I paid 28$ to get a copy of the book . I finished reading half of the book during my flight journeys between Nashville, Chicago, Minneapolis, Newark , Munich. But after I reached back India , I got so engrossed in my day to day chores and placed the book unattended on my corner table. Few days back, my husband ( who doesn't like reading books, but loves hearing stories), enquired- " You did not summarize the story of The Infinite Games" .
It suddenly reminded me that I needed to finish the book, but when I opened the book, I had actually forgotten what I had read previously. So I started reading the book from beginning. This time I thought I should pen down my learning from the book every time I finish a critical part of the book.
So here is my take on the first most important part of The Infinite Games

Finite Games Vs Infinite Games : Finite games are played by known players with finite mindset where there are fixed rules, agreed upon objective and has a finite result- Win or Loss. Infinite games are played between known or unknown players, the rules can change and the objective is not to win or defeat the other person/team, it is to keep playing.

When you place a finite player against a finite player, the system is stable. When you place an infinite player versus an infinite player, the system is also stable. Problems arises when you pit a finite player against an infinite player. The finite player will be focused on playing to win, and an infinite player will be focused on just playing without an aspiration to win. As a result, both the players will make very different strategic choices.

In businesses when we try to become an winning business, we have lost the game. The book clearly indicates that there is nothing called -"Winning Business". No one can confidently declare that they are number one in their business, they might be favorites of their customer base, but simply claiming to be number 1 for everyone doesn't make sense. When we play an infinite game in business with finite players, we simply create a very toxic culture of mistrust where cooperation and innovation sees a decline over time.

There are multiple factors that shape an infinite mindset, the first and foremost is a "Just Cause"- What is your Just Cause, a cause where you would sacrifice your individual interest in order to advance the cause? Do you have one? What is a Just Cause --- The book describes a Just cause as a specific vision of a future state that doesn't yet exist ; a future state so appealing that people are willing to make sacrifices in order to help advance towards that vision.

Winning provides a temporary chill, a temporary kick/thrill of a victory, can you hold the feeling of the last award that you won? or the last promotion you got? these feelings do pass away with time. In order to experience that feeling, you will have to win an award again or get another promotion.
However, when you have a "Just Cause" , the reason to come to office / work is bigger than any particular win.  Our days take on more meaning and feel more fulfilling.

Organisations which are only driven by the Finites - we may like our jobs on some days, but we may not love our jobs. If we work for an organization driven by the Infinites , we may like our jobs on some days but we will always love our jobs.

Stay Tuned for more... in my next article I will summarize the difference between a "Just Cause" and "Why" and share some interesting stories from my personal experience.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Uncertainty will ignite creativity, dont let your fears focus on depravity

Fear as google explains is an unpleasant emotion caused by the threat of danger, pain, or harm. As a kid I was always afraid of being le...