Sunday, May 31, 2020

Success is Easy - What is Your definition of Succes

According to the Google Search Engine, the definition of success is the accomplishment of an aim or purpose, or a person or thing that achieves desired aims or attains prosperity. The definition and the true meaning of Success differs a lot. The meaning of success depends from person to person as no two persons are same. To me, what success is not, is being materialistic.  I don’t think that success can be attributed to financial prosperity, fame, or fortune.  However, the standard definition of success may beg to differ.


I evaluate success in myriad ways. While at work, success to me means completing a given task on time and feeling happy about it, thinking I could not have done it better! This is not enough though - the results should be great and the people involved should have a memorable experience. Success at work can be doing something extraordinary for our customers, help them experience something really incredible. 

When I am not working, I enjoy facetiming my niece, listening to her stories and solving her puzzles so at that time I derive success from the simple pleasures of life. Success is having my parents look at me and be proud of who they see. It is being someone my friends know they can rely on and the person who does what she says she is going to do. Success is as simple as having a peaceful sleep at night knowing that today I have not done wrong to someone. It’s knowing I did the best I could that day, with what I was given.


According to a Life Hack article titled “The Real Meaning of Success” - To be successful means to first define success for yourself and then to start living your life based on your OWN expectations and  on your OWN terms. The term OWN is important, it has to be yours ( something you personally believe in, not what others expect you to).
After this write down your goals, share your goals, and figure out how you achieve it.  Even if it means deconstructing each goal into smaller goals and even smaller goals. You will figure out a way when you OWN your goals. Finally, go and do it. 
The Life Hack “The Real Meaning of Success” has a wonderful quote:
“Because continuously living everyday with expectations that are not of your own is a day that is not truly yours” . See what is truly yours , check with yourself every day , are you doing something which you truly believe into ?
Most importantly success is never letting other people define what it should mean or look like to me. It’s deciding for myself and pursuing it with a persisting determination. Today, success to me is about having a purpose, the one that I define myself. I used to think success was about stuff (bank balance, car, house, gadgets) , until I got that stuff and was still inherently unhappy. That’s not success, that’s materialism and ego.  Not that these are unimportant things, they do bring in temporary happiness , but don’t have a lasting effect.

Think about the current situation, you might have bank balance , money in your account but you would have definitely experienced not being able to get all the things that you need daily during this lockdown. The magnitude of that feeling might differ from person to person but all of us have experienced that. If something that this lockdown has taught me, is to be Kinder and Compassionate about people around me , and that has helped me to sleep well at night.



I remember a saying from the Holy book Bhagavat Geeta  – “Tum Kya leke aye ho , Tume kya leke jaoge?” ( What have you brought into this world , What will you take back with You).  In second chapter ,Lord Krishna explains, that You are not this body You are the soul. You just take some form of body in every birth according to your OWN KARMA. You live INSIDE the body, and YOU ARE NOT BODY. Your actions (Karma) will define your success, it will define your foot prints , it will define how others will remember you . Ask yourself how will you want others to remember you , asking this simple question to yourself can help a lot in changing your actions. So next time  when your actions ( intentionally or unintentionally) hurt someone in your pursuit to be successful, stop for a moment and think “ Am I not over defining what Success means to me” .


No comments:

Post a Comment

Uncertainty will ignite creativity, dont let your fears focus on depravity

Fear as google explains is an unpleasant emotion caused by the threat of danger, pain, or harm. As a kid I was always afraid of being le...